Skip to main content

Love Moved First

Ever hear a song that just touches you down deep to your soul? You can feel it in your bones? You find yourself crying every.single.time you hear it? This is exactly how I feel lately about Casting Crowns’ song Love Moved First. Of course, the song moves me deeply because I am so grateful Jesus died for me and I look forward to the day I am with my Savior, BUT the song moves me way beyond Casting Crowns’ intended lyrics. When I hear this song, I think about my sweet girl and how her life, our life, has been filled with many challenges. Challenges are a continuous part of life, but when you add on a disability they intensify dramatically. If you know me personally, you know I find the humor and the positives in our autism journey, Mable is so fun and FUNNY!  My positive outlook does not mean there have not been really hard, major crisis, violent and tear-filled events along the way. Autism is a tough journey...it is a marathon and not a sprint. This song hits home because the chorus rings so true,

"You didn't wait for me to find my way to You 

I couldn't cross that distance even if I wanted to

You came running after me
When anybody else would've turned and left me at my worst

Love moved first" 

When Mable is in her worst moments, she can't wait for me (or her teachers), she can't stop the violent meltdown no matter how hard she may want to, it has to run its course like a F5 tornado.  She, we, have been SO BLESSED because SO MANY teachers, friends & family have gone running after her and NEVER left her even in her worst moments. There are so many "things" that have to be done for an autistic child/adult to be successful throughout their life and it can be VERY OVERWHELMING and all consuming at times.  No matter how many "things" that are done, if your love has not moved first with her, then the rest becomes impossible.  For years I have heard about Mable's lack of communication with non-preferred people.  My girl can spot a fake person a mile away.  She will not move mountains with someone who is not genuinely invested in her being successful and knowing her as a person.  The beautiful thing about autism is the ability to know the difference between "social politeness" and genuine relationship minded people, it's a "super power".  Having a child/adult with autism requires a true partnership with anyone who will be on the journey with us.  Most Special Education classes are set up where the child/adult is with the same teacher for a few years, so it is common for everyone involved to become really good friends by the end of their time together. Autism isn't a journey that can be done alone, a lot of support is needed....even if the support is just a listening ear while A LOT of crying happens by the parent/guardians. Often, I find myself hanging onto Scripture to bring comfort to my heart and mind.  This is one of my favorites right now,

Matthew 8:23-26 NIV

"23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” 26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm."

I love this verse because it is one of many examples of how Jesus crawls in the boat with me during a storm.  I trust Him completely with every fiber of my being, I trust that He will calm the storms that pop up in our life and that I am never alone.  I am very fortunate because I have many family and friends that also climb in the boat with me so that I never face a storm alone.  Crawling in the boat with me has looked different throughout the years because every storm looks different with autism.  Some of our storms, it has not been safe for family or friends to be in person with us, something I know was very hard for them to watch from the sidelines, and they had to support, encourage us via phone or email.  Sometimes our storms have required many people to be in person with us.  It really has been a journey and will always be a journey with an autistic child/adult. No matter how the support has looked throughout the years or how it will look in the future the point is…love has to move first.  We are in difficult times in our society right now, imagine how our world would look if we all let love move first…

I pray this song touches your heart and encourages you as much as it does me. 😊

Love Move First - Casting Crowns


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Welcome to our page! I hope you will visit often, feel encouraged by what we share, and know that you are not alone in whatever journey you are walking.  A little bit about us, aka my autism guide Mable and her sidekick mom Jenni... Mable, aka my tour guide through autism, is a young adult woman who has autism.  Her official diagnosis, although I don't think they label this way anymore, is Persuasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDDNOS).  In other words, she has the catch all label because she doesn't really fit in one box more than the others.  The reality is autism does not have a box, every person with autism is unique and different.  Mable was not given a book on how to be autistic and generally beats to her own drum, which I LOVE! She is definitely the cool one in our boat sailing through this world. I am the lucky one because I get to be her mom, aka sidekick in life, and I wouldn't want it any other way.   

Learning How to Breathe

 In life we walk through moments and don't give much thought to the ordinary movements of life.  As a special needs mom, I too walk through the moments of life without much thought....or so I thought I did! Within the past couple of weeks, I would say a more accurate statement would be, I am learning how to breathe throughout my movements of our life. Mable and I have a consistent routine, a groove in our daily life so to speak.  She and I pretty much do the same things daily and it is easy to just walk through another day without much thought.  Mable is generally a very happy, go lucky kind of girl who loves to smile and laugh. She is easy to love and a joy to be around most of the time. She and I have done this autism dance for a little over sixteen years, so I would say we are used to the autism life.        Throughout our life we have learned many things about autism and how Mable functions in various activities of life.  Mable's big thin...